Industry Terms

 Glossary of Window Treatment Terms


Apron – A vertical piece of wood trim that is attached to the wood casing just under the sill of the window.


Asymmetrical Window Design – A design that is not symmetrical, but fabricated instead with a different center point. Often mounted on opposite sides of a focal point. A pair of swags mounted with two different length cascades creating a mirror image is a good example of an asymmetrical window treatment.


Bend of the Hem – The soft fold created at the hem when a drapery breaks onto the floor.


Casement – The name of a type of window that is vertically hinged and opens outward.


Ceiling Mount – A term used when mounting the drapery treatment directly onto the ceiling.


Center Draw – One pair of draperies that open from the center of the window and when open stacks equally at each side of the window frame.


Clearance – The space allowed between the layers of multiple treatments on a window. i.e.: Sheer drapery, over drapery and valance.


Decorative Rod – A drapery rod made of wood or metal in various finishes and completed with finials, rings and decorative brackets.


Drape – A verb that means to cover or hang fabric in loose graceful folds.  It is not a noun to be used inter-changeably with draperies. i.e.: The fabric draped over the rod beautiful. The draperies were beautiful on the rod.


Draperies – A noun that refers to fabric that has been pleated or gathered into finished panels that hang from a rod into loose folds.


Dressing Out the Drapery – A term used by the installers that indicates steaming and finishing the look of the custom drapery.


Drop – The depth or longest point of a valance.


Ease – The amount of relax fabric between pleats or rods. This is also referred to as the give.


Extension – The distance between the outside edge of the frame opening and the outermost edge of the finished treatment.


Face Length – The horizontal space a drapery or valance will take when mounted.  This is important to note when mounting a puddle and bishop drapery or a pouf or double rod style valance. This information will let the installer  know where you want the bottom rod placed and how much of the finished length is to go into the pouf.


Face Width – The finished width of the drapery or valance treatment measuring from end of rod to end of rod or from end of board to end of board. Does not include additional for overlap or returns.


Final Measurement – The measurement performed after the design has been completed. The final measurement establishes fabrication details.


Finial – The decorative end piece of any type of decorative rod.


Finished Length – The total length from the top ruffle or pleat to the bottom edge of the hem of the completed drapery panel or valance.


Finished Width – The size of the panel of drapery when laid flat.  It includes the face width, the return and the overlap.


Frame Size – The measurement of the outside window frame edges, also referred to as the casing. This measurement is taken from outside of frame left to right and top to bottom of window. Also referred to as ‘frame to frame’ measurement.


Give – A small amount added to the panel face measurement of a pleated drapery panel to ensure that the panel will cover the rod properly without being pulled taunt by the tension of the cord. Also referred to as ‘ease’.


Hardware – The rods, brackets, tieback holders, and all related parts and fasteners used to install a drapery treatment.


Hard Window Products – A term used by the industry to refer to metal, plastic and wood blinds.


Inside Mount – A term used for a window treatment that is mounted on the inside of the frame of the window.  The standard allowance for an inside mounted treatment is ½” for installation clearance.


Locking Rail – The part of the window where the security lock is located.


Master Carrier – The arms of a traverse rod to which the cords attach that meet and overlap at the center.


Mullion – The vertical frame that is used to divide two or more windows that are set in the same rough opening.


Muntin – The frames that divide the glass into smaller panels within the sash.


Off-Center – A term used for draperies that are constructed for a window not centered on a wall. Each panel of a pair of draperies has a different finished face size, allowing the draperies to center on the window.


One-Way Draw – A single drapery panel designed to traverse in one direction with the stack on one side of the window.


Opening Size – The measurement of the front edges of a recessed area or window without a window frame.


Outside Mount – A term used when a window treatment is mounted on the outside of the frame of the window.


Over-Drapery – The term used for the outer drapery that is installed over another drapery or treatment.


Overlap – The first space of the completed drapery panel which, when installed on the rod, rides on one of the master carriers.  When drawn closed, the master carriers overlap to create a tight closure.


Pin – A metal drapery hook with a sharp end that is inserted into the stitch line of a pleat and attaches to a carrier of the rod.


Pinch Pleated – A pleat that is shaped into three folds and pinched together and tacked at the base of the pleat through all thickness.


Pleat – A term used for the folds of material sewn together between each space and creates the fullness of the drapery.


Puddle the Hem – A term used when the design calls for a 5” to 15” to bunch or “puddle” onto the floor.


Preliminary Measurement – The rough measure performed before a treatment is designed. Used when establishing the budget, a design and an estimate of cost.


Projection – The required distance from the wall to the front of the rod or mounting board that the treatment is to be installed on.


Return – The last space of the completed drapery panel which, when installed on the rod, covers the bracket area from the position of the last pleat to the wall.


Rod Face – The total width of the installed drapery treatment from the first pleat to the last pleat at the opposite end of a pleated drapery and from end of rod to end of rod on a rod pocket treatment.


Rough Opening – The size of the opening in the drywall before the window frame is set in and finished.


Sill – The horizontal ledge at the base of a window perpendicular to the apron.


Soffit – The space under the top frame on the inside that acts as a mounting surface for brackets when inside mounting a drapery or valance treatment.


Stack – The amount of space required for 1) traversing draperies when completely open or 2) stationary panels when installed in desired position on the rod.


Template – A tracing of an architectural feature of a window that will be used in pattern construction to ensure that the finished treatment will fit the area properly.


Traverse Rod – A drapery rod with a cords and a pulley mechanism that allows the drapery to be drawn open and closed.


Under-Draperies – The layer of draperies, usually made from a sheer or other lightweight fabric that installs closer to the window behind an over-treatment.


Valance – A decorative horizontal fabric treatment installed at the top of the window.  A valance may be alone or combined with draperies, shades or blinds.


Valance Face – The total measurement of the installed valance from end to end when mounted on the rod or valance board.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *